Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect

There are many potential gases that may exist in your house. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that come from household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But none of these gases are as harmful as carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is scary and may even be a matter of life and death, so it needs to be taken very seriously. What is extremely concerning is that it is hard to detect because it is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can make its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on the size of the leak and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can become fatal in a matter of minutes, or the toxic gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things.

It is important to not risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here’s what you can do:

  1. If you do not currently have a carbon monoxide detector in your house, call Epperson Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Hilton Head Island to purchase one. Ask us about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect.
  2. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, be sure to regularly check or replace the batteries. Testing should be done every three months, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years.
  3. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or experience flu-like or other symptoms described above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps you can protect your family from its dangers. Get the protection you need and call Epperson Service Experts in Hilton Head Island at 843-619-3781 to learn more.

Epperson Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning
1306 Fording Island Road, Suite 106
Bluffton, South Carolina 29910

Phone: 843-619-3781
Email: epperson@serviceexperts.com
License # M111856