According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments attend to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide incidents each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s often connected to wood stoves, car engines, and other fire combustion sources including gas or oil furnaces.
Why should you be constantly aware of CO?
Not to be overly dramatic, but understanding the causes and ways to prevent excessive CO exposure is a matter of life and death. CO is among the leading reasons of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO poisoning is often confused as the flu, viral infections and continuous fatigue, among many others. This makes CO poisoning a very serious concern for any Hilton Head Island homeowner. Severe poisoning takes place from intaking large concentrations of CO, but poisoning has also been reported to occur over many months or years. Some signs may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness, and fatigue.
Steps you can take to reduce the CO risk in your Hilton Head Island home?
- If you don’t have a CO detector in your home, get one right away. You can phone Epperson Service Experts to purchase one today.
- Existing CO detectors should be checked regularly (at least every 90 days). It's also wise to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
- If you experience or have experienced any of the symptoms cited above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning and get a second opinion if necessary.
- Schedule routine gas furnace maintenance once per year to ensure no carbon monoxide leaks are present at the beginning of heating season.
- If your furnace is approaching the end of its working life, think about a proactive home furnace replacement service and upgrade to a brand new energy efficient furnace.
*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee the prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.