Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other space to your home, being cozy in your new space regardless of outdoor temperatures is important. However, they can create a unique problem for heating and cooling. This is due to the fact extending ductwork is expensive. And that your heating and cooling system may not be deal with the heightened load, because it was sized without considering the addition.
One of the most affordable options is to add a mini-split. This system offers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork required. Discover more about mini-splits and how getting one for your addition might be a fantastic fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Heat and Cool
A ductless mini-split, because they’re much like ducted heat pumps that have been used in southern climates for decades.
Heat pumps are highly energy efficient because they shift heat to make your room comfier. In reality, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which could make you eligible for extra rebates and lower your energy expenses for a long time.
Another special feature includes zoned heating and cooling. As each room typically has an individual indoor unit, you can select your preferred temperature from room to room. For example, a mini-split AC is extremely useful if you have a space with specific temperature needs, including a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Space
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for rooms that lack ductwork. Here are a few reasons why it’s wiser than extending ductwork and relying on your present heating and cooling system.
- Extending ductwork is pricey. Adding ductwork in your new addition can be costly. Although the total figure will depend on your unique situation, it could be thousands of dollars.
- Your current home comfort system could become stressed. When your existing heating and cooling system was chosen, it was based on the square footage of your home in advance of the addition. This could overwork your system and make it wear out more quickly.
- Your comfort may be affected. As your heating and cooling system is sized for specific square footage, your comfort might decrease if your system has to manage a wider area. Your heating and cooling may be less effective, and your utility bills may go up since the system needs to turn on more regularly.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Install
Like more common systems, mini-splits are available in various sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most frequently installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you collaborate our Experts at Epperson Service Experts, we’ll help you get the right size for your new addition. And your price point.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can create huge energy savings over its lifetime, which can be 20 years or greater when adequately maintained. ENERGY STAR says installing one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in contrast to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Epperson Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From addressing all your questions and helping you select the right model to delivering Expert mini-split installation, Epperson Service Experts can accommodate all your mini-split needs. If you’re thinking about a home addition or recently finished one, we can help. Contact us at 843-619-3781 right away to request a free consultation and estimate.