When rough weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair professional to check your system post-storm, they can possibly provide you with good news that your steps paid off.
At Epperson Service Experts, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time may not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets thrown around during severe weather. Just make sure you have turned the system totally off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a secure place so that they don’t get strewn about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to head outside, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Epperson Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and decide whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that bad weather doesn’t hit us in Hilton Head Island, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other issues that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for bad weather in Hilton Head Island or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at 843-619-3781 or schedule an appointment with Epperson Service Experts through our online scheduler.