As fall approaches, now is a great time to get started thinking about your residence’s carbon monoxide detectors. When heating season is underway, the Centers for Disease Control says the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning increases.
Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas that’s colorless, odorless and tasteless. It’s a result of combustion your gas furnace depends on to heat your house. When your heater is working as it should, the gas is correctly vented outside of your residence. Breaks in your furnace’s heat exchanger or flue pipes can cause carbon monoxide to seep into your house, where long-term exposure can be fatal.
Although carbon monoxide poisoning is escapable, the CDC says at least 430 people in the U.S. are killed by it each year. And another approximately 50,000 people are transported to the emergency room thanks to related issues, like headaches, dizziness and vomiting.
The best ways you can safeguard your family is by scheduling annual maintenance of all gas, oil, or wood burning appliances, like your furnace and water heater, and getting a carbon monoxide detector. From plug-in to smart carbon monoxide detectors, there’s a model on the market that matches for your house and budget.
H2: Smart Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Smart carbon monoxide detectors, such as the Nest carbon monoxide detector, make it simple to stay on top of keeping your family safe. They’re usually sold as duo carbon monoxide and smoke detectors and can typically be linked with other smart home devices via Wi-Fi.
Here are a few other benefits of having them in your residence:
- Alerts you that there’s an issue through voice notifications, as well as alerts on your phone.
- Pinpoints the problem spot, such as the kitchen or basement.
- Can be shut off from your phone.
- Automatically checks its sensors and batteries and reveals findings through a useful report on your phone.
- Notifies you of dying batteries with an alert on your phone, not a loud noise in the middle of the night.
- Lasts up to 10 years, depending on the type.
The only problem with using Wi-Fi carbon monoxide detectors is the cost. These detectors are typically much higher-priced than their plug-in or battery-powered counterparts. But they also offer many useful and worthy features you can’t find in a non-smart device.
When you’re buying a new device, it’s crucial to know where to place carbon monoxide detectors. The Environmental Protection Agency suggests putting a carbon monoxide detector at least five feet above the floor or on the ceiling. This is due to the fact carbon monoxide can rise with hot air.
We recommend having a detector on each floor of your home, including outside bedrooms. You’ll want to be certain the alarm will wake you up.
Battery-Powered and Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Plug-in and battery-powered carbon monoxide detectors are the most reasonable. Some of the most popular types are Kidde carbon monoxide detectors and First Alert carbon monoxide detectors.
But they also have limited features that don’t work with your phone or smart home devices. They typically have a digital display and test button, which you’ll have to remember to use.
The National Fire Protection Association recommends testing hardwired carbon monoxide alarms once a month. Battery-powered detectors that don’t plug in need to be tested weekly. If you’re wondering how to test for carbon monoxide, it’s fairly straightforward. Use the button to ensure your detector is running.
If your detector is hardwired, make sure to replace the backup battery at least once a year. If it’s battery-powered, you’ll want to swap it once a month to bypass the annoying chirp in the middle of the night.
If you’re hearing a chirp or your carbon monoxide detector is beeping intermittently, it usually signals it has a low battery. Or, it’s approaching the end of its life. How long carbon monoxide detectors work depends on the brand you own. Typically, it’s between 5–10 years, but make sure to check instructions from your specific manufacturer.
If you’re confused about why your carbon monoxide detector is beeping, it’s usually due to the fact it’s sensing hazardous concentration of carbon monoxide. If your carbon monoxide detector is going off with continued, loud beeping, leave your home as quickly as possible and call 911.
Now is a good time to check your carbon monoxide detector is running properly before heating season begins. If you need to schedule furnace maintenance or you’re interested in upgrading to smart carbon monoxide detectors, the Experts at Epperson Service Experts can assist you. Get in touch with us at 843-619-3781 today and we’ll help you find the ideal carbon monoxide detector for your house.