The Value of Annual Furnace Maintenance
As the temperature falls and you find yourself reaching for the thermostat more often, you should also reach for your phone to schedule annual furnace maintenance. Being sure that your furnace operates at peak efficiency this winter enhances your comfort, safety and peace of mind all season long.
Here’s more about what this crucial yearly task involves and why you shouldn’t neglect it.
What Does Furnace Maintenance Involve?
A maintenance visit is an easy way to get your heating system ready for the cold months. Although the exact tasks depend on the brand and age of your unit, you can usually expect your technician to perform the following:
- Check and clean the burner: Over time, dirt and debris can obstruct the burner, affecting its performance. Cleaning it brings back optimal heat transfer.
- Test the gas valves: Confirming these valves are completely open and working properly is crucial for safe furnace operation.
- Examine the heat exchanger: A cracked heat exchanger can result in carbon monoxide leaks, so it’s crucial to check that no cracks are present.
- Evaluate and tighten electrical parts: Loose connections can make your furnace hazardous and inefficient. Thankfully, tightening them is a fast and simple process.
- Clean the blower: A grimy blower has an effect on your furnace’s ability to distribute warm air throughout your home. Cleaning and balancing the fan ensures appropriate airflow.
- Change the air filter: Clean air filters enable proper airflow throughout your system, which is why you should always replace a dirty air filter in your furnace. Installing a fresh, new air filter also increases indoor air quality if you set up a filtration system.
Reasons to Schedule Regular Furnace Maintenance
If your furnace seems to be running fine, is it still useful to schedule a maintenance appointment? Here are some of the ways furnace maintenance is beneficial:
- Reduce mid-season malfunctions: Few things are more discouraging than waking up on a cold winter morning to learn your furnace has stopped working. Sudden breakdowns are upsetting and can leave you scrambling to find a quick fix. Annual furnace maintenance reduces the risk of unexpected problems because your heating specialist inspects every part of your system, catching minor issues before they turn into costly repairs.
- Less expensive repair costs: It’s a simple equation—the sooner you catch a problem, the less expensive it is to correct. By investing in budget-friendly, scheduled maintenance visits, you can avoid costly, inconvenient repairs, keeping more money in your pocket.
- Increase your furnace’s life expectancy: Like a well-maintained car, a furnace that receives regular tune-ups will likely last longer than a neglected heating system. Annual maintenance saves you the expense of early furnace replacement by increasing your system’s life span.
- Improve energy efficiency: A well-maintained heating system operates smoothly and efficiently. When all the elements are clean and in good working order, your system doesn’t have to work as hard to keep your home cozy. This reduces your energy bills and diminishes your environmental impact.
- Healthier indoor air quality: Polluted indoor air worsens allergies and respiratory issues. The air filter in your furnace collects dust, pollen and other airborne irritants to reduce these problems. During a maintenance visit, the HVAC tech will change the air filter at your request, ensuring cleaner air flows through your home.
- Increases safety: A failing furnace is not only inefficient, it’s also potentially dangerous. Cracked heat exchangers or defective gas valves can cause hazardous carbon monoxide leaks. Knowing your system has been examined for anything that could be dangerous should give you peace of mind this winter.
What Time of Year Should You Schedule Your Maintenance Visit?
To reap the most benefits, it’s best to arrange annual furnace maintenance in the fall before winter’s chill gets to your area. This is a way to make sure any issues are resolved before you have to call heavily on your heating system.
Do-It-Yourself Furnace Maintenance Between Formal Visits
While professional maintenance is vital, you can perform several tasks yourself to make sure your furnace operates smoothly between visits:
- Change the air filter every 30 to 90 days to optimize airflow.
- Make sure all of your return and supply registers are open and unobstructed for system balance.
- Vacuum the exterior of the furnace with the brush attachment to keep it clean.
Choose Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing for Furnace Maintenance in the U.S.
If it’s time for your next furnace maintenance visit, Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing is an HVAC company you can count on. Our ACE-certified technicians provide fast, long-lasting solutions to all your comfort dilemmas. We’re proud to deliver solutions to everyone we can and strive to make a meaningful difference in your everyday life and sense of comfort. We even give our customers a 100% satisfaction guarantee to put your mind at ease. To set your heating system up for success this winter, call 866-397-3787 today to schedule furnace maintenance with Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing.
Zoning Systems: Customized Comfort in Every Room
Central heating and cooling systems have revolutionized home comfort and made it possible to stay completely comfortable in any season or climate. However, while centralized systems are a handy way to manage the temperature, they occasionally fall short when it comes to evenly distributing heated... Continue reading
Eight Popular Heating Myths Debunked
There are lots of myths out there about home heating that lead to confusion and inefficient furnace usage. It’s time to set the record straight. Here, the heating authorities at Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing debunk the eight most common myths to keep your home... Continue reading
Eight Ways to Upgrade Your HVAC System
During the cold winter months in the U.S., there’s no better way to improve your home’s comfort than with a few effective upgrades. It’s not only about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about enhancing efficiency and removing pollutants from the very air you... Continue reading