Annually, over 20,000 people visit the ER due to carbon monoxide poisoning. The odorless, colorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as confirmed by the CDC, is put off by gas ranges, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and boilers so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the heating months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep you safe, Epperson Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with a couple tips to safety keep your home heated.
- Place a CO detector on every floor of your home and swap out the batteries annually.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, a distance over three feet away from fireplaces, furnaces, stoves, or space heaters.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, always check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
- Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces unattended. Turn off space heaters and make sure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before going to bed or leaving home.
- Space heaters should always be situated on the floor, and on a hard, incombustible surface, like ceramic tile. Keep young ones and animals away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, invest in a model that turns off automatically if the heater tumbles over.
- Do not use a oven to warm your home.
- Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally examined and cleaned yearly.
The ideal thing you can do for your furnace is to make sure it’s not only up to the task of keeping your family warm all winter but also safe, is to call for your fall tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, Epperson Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning will check to be sure your furnace is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 843-619-3781 today and learn how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.