One of the most basic issues that we encounter at Epperson Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Hilton Head Island is filthy air filters. They might seem like a very tiny piece of the big home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us create comfort is a lot larger than most homeowners realize. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a filthy air filter can cause a host of concerns for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you forget to switch out your air filter? Here are a just a few of the side effects you might encounter:
- Reduced airflow. This is easily the greatest problem you’ll recognize when your home’s air filter is severely clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being switched, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this inhibits air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working significantly harder to provide you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is working harder due to a clogged air filter, you also run the chance of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s working overtime to give you cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a threat if your air filter goes unchanged for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something quits working or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off more than it should. When your system short cycles, it could overheat or break down from the added work, which could end up causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A diminished equipment lifecycle
- Reduced energy efficiency
- Lower air quality
- Greater dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last switched out your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to get around any possible damage that could come with a dirty air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the variety of air filters available, give Epperson Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning a call at 843-619-3781 or schedule an appointment online.