Prevention is the most important place to start. Taking correct safety precautions will reduce your likelihood of carbon monoxide poisoning in Hilton Head Island.
Here are a couple steps you can take to protect your family:
- Warm up your car out of your garage. Cars are a major source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so don’t leave yours on in the restricted space of a garage. The same goes for gas equipment including lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t operate ovens or grills for heat. These items are safe when operated properly but can produce carbon monoxide when on for a long period of time in tight spaces.
- Don’t run a gas generator indoors, as it produces fumes.
- Have your chimney examined by a professional. This confirms chimneys and vents aren’t clogged and connected correctly.
- Confirm gas appliances are operating properly, particularly your furnace. You can ensure efficient, safe operation by scheduling yearly furnace maintenance with Epperson Service Experts.