What can be done to protect my home from carbon monoxide?

Prevention is the most important place to start. Taking correct safety precautions will reduce your likelihood of carbon monoxide poisoning in Hilton Head Island.

Here are a couple steps you can take to protect your family:

  • Warm up your car out of your garage. Cars are a major source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so don’t leave yours on in the restricted space of a garage. The same goes for gas equipment including lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
  • Don’t operate ovens or grills for heat. These items are safe when operated properly but can produce carbon monoxide when on for a long period of time in tight spaces.
  • Don’t run a gas generator indoors, as it produces fumes.
  • Have your chimney examined by a professional. This confirms chimneys and vents aren’t clogged and connected correctly.
  • Confirm gas appliances are operating properly, particularly your furnace. You can ensure efficient, safe operation by scheduling yearly furnace maintenance with Epperson Service Experts.